We made it home safe and sound. We have many stories to tell and many photos to share... they will come. I promise you.
I went on my run today and had one of those moments where living far away from family and friends hits a tough realization. It's hard when you receive good news (or bad news for that matter) from afar and are unable to share more than a phone call, video call or email to talk about it. Don't get me wrong, I am SO thankful for the technology that we have and that we are able to talk with regularity to our family and friends - without it costing a fortune or taking a long time. It's just sometimes it doesn't seem like quite enough.
Dealing with the sense of loneliness (dare I call it that?) is one of those things I think I have never really gotten the hang of living far away from family. It's not a loneliness that sends you in to deep despair - its just that loneliness of wanting that person or those people that you love close to you to share a moment - a lunch, a dinner, a coffee or just to sit and talk or hug. It finds itself during moving away, deployments and just being away from people that you love. It tends to stay away during the majority of our days (because we do live a nice and full life), but rears its heads on birthdays, holidays and just the general "missing you" day.
It's those times that you wonder "do I tell the people I love, that I love them, often enough?" "Do they know?" I am sure the answer to that is no - can we ever REALLY tell people that we love often enough?
So, for those of you who shared your good news with me this morning - congratulations. You will never know how badly I wish I was there to give you each a hug.
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
The phone is never enough...
Posted by Kelly at 12:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Toad - whenever you are feeling lonely (and why on earth wouldn't you?), just remember that there are SO MANY people around the world who love you to pieces. I am VERY much looking forward to seeing you and having coffee and/or wine and some shared moments. I love you! - Sprocket
You make me want to cry (although thats not hard to do of late)! I love you too!
Sprocket - wine and coffee (not necessarily in that order) are certain. Have we found a concert to go to yet? Mostly shared moments just make me happy. Who know Bowling Green could bring such good friends together?
Shannon - no crying intended! SO happy for you and love you mucho. Can't wait to spend some time with you guys this summer!
Well, I did cry. I am suppose to be an old sage but separation is never easy. And you are right Kelly, it creeps in on you.It is hard at times to think happy thoughts-what has been working for me...is a little voice that said..."calm down" as quoted by AGA.
the giving of love is an education in itself.
We love you
Post a Comment