CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 21, 2011

Ice Skating on the Island

One of those things we have been meaning to do for awhile now: Ice Skating.

Do you remember the first time you went Ice Skating? I certainly don't remember the first time, but I do remember going as a kid (and as an adult) but know that it has been many years since I have tried my hand at getting out on the frozen pond.

The girls have been talking about it for awhile now. Luckily for them we met Nicole here in Okinawa (who not only skated competitively as a child, but taught as an adult). I know that with Brad gone for a bit, Ice Skating would not have happened without her help (and the help of her trusted male family members). The Colvig 4 and the Aiello Girl 3 headed to the indoor ice skating rink down near Naha.



Alessandra having a quick snack and gearing up.
(personally I love the helmets)


Olivia ready to go!

In all honesty, I really had no idea what to expect out of the girls today. I knew Olivia was a bit nervous (always gets nervous about the unknown), and Alessandra really couldn't picture what we were going to do anyway, so she was all good.

With Nicole's awesome leadership (yes, I totally default to the professional) the girls really gave it their all today. They got out there, worked hard and got to the point where they were able to get around by themselves.



Some videos... for your viewing pleasure.





The larger kids behind Olivia were a school group from one of the local schools. For awhile they took a break and had lunch - I took this video shortly after they had come back on the ice.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Thank you Kelly, we enjoyed watching the girls. Thanks also to Nicole, she did a great job with Olivia and Alessandra. I agree the helmets add to the outfit but protect their pretty heads.

Unknown said...

Congrats to you Olivia and Alessandra!!! You two were amazing on the ice for the first time! Going around the rink can make you very tired especially your ankles, but you were real troopers or should I say skaters.
You will be able to skate a lot back in the states next winter. Can't wait. Love you bunches, SuSu