CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 24, 2008

The morning run...

Hello loyal fans...

This blog is for all of you, but mostly for my friend Juli, who always poses questions about descriptions (i.e. what does it SOUND like, what smells are there... etc.). I figured I would give you a little description of one of Alessandra and my (almost) daily activities... with photos and descriptions.





First we drop Olivia off at the bus stop (the reflection was bad with the sun, but you can see her hand waving... above that kids head)



This is the entry area right beside out house to the beach path. Basically the sign says "no parking" but (except for today for some reason) there are almost always cars parked there. This is also a corner, the street/alley behind our building is always full of parked cars with walkers/runners/fisherpeople etc.





Here we are heading onto the beach walkway/path. Usually this area is less crowded than the swimming beach area. Sometimes when I come out in the morning there are only a couple of people walking. (Earlier in the morning it is quite busy)

Running north on the path






"The Big Rock" is what we call this (original I know), it is a stopping point for when Olivia rides her bicycle because we can't see her on the other side. I assume when they created this beach area they left it in to help with the wave and erosion flow.

Once we go around "The Big Rock" we hit the more "beachy looking" area of Araha Beach. This area is also much more busy than right around our building.


A common site most days are older couples out walking together (you did know that Okinawan's are the healthiest people on earth right?) I loved this photo. They were wading in the water and probably having a good conversation, her hands were moving around a lot. Also you may note with puzzlement the long sleeves and hat. One thing that amazes me daily is how covered up the Okinawan's are - I am always so hot doing ANYTHING in the sun, I don't know how they handle it!

More of Araha Beach after the swimming area. These are the recreation folks that set up every day with their banana boats, wave runners and other assorted water fun. I liked this shot too because you can see the windmill in the background - that is where I run to (and around) when I go out.

"Over the river and through the woods" hehehe. A little bridge on the way.

Heading up over bridge number 2 (the largest incline in this run... no hills here!)

Not sure what happened when I downloaded these photos, but I will do my best to give you some info.... These two photos show the seawall heading out towards the windmill. The photo here on the right is covered with grafitti (but it isn't bad, and it actually looks pretty neat) and then the photo below here is once on the seawall path.

This is a crazy statue that I have no idea about. I assume it is an American woman depicted (thus the cowboy hat), but I can't figure out the nakedness or the little dancing person up there on top...

The photo on the right is as you make your way around the corner of the seawall.

I love this sign. They are everywhere (and usually right around them are about 2 little lumps of dog poo. I can't figure out why so many people do NOT clean up after their dogs. Probably my biggest complaint about the path area. (and for the smell, yes sometimes it smells like s*@t)

The second photo is of coming around the loop by the seawall and heading back behind the windmill.

Old friends will know how much I love crooked and crazy trees... I love this part of the path. Off to my left is actually a running track and large open sportsfield where they have competitions. They also hold a number of festivals here. As you go further down you pass tennis courts and baseball fields.

Then, since I have included WAY too many photos of pathways, I decided you could imagine the run back (the way I came) but heading south.

My running partner. She pooped out on me today (must be the early riser needing a little catnap). Usually we get to the end (by home) and she gets out and does her own "run", squats and pushups. It is quite funny

A shot of me post run. I took another one that reflected all of my sweatiness, but decided that you might not enjoy that. It is still so hot and humid here that it takes me about 1 1/2 hours to cool down.

A couple of things I didn't get shots of: My favorite Okinawan man who ALWAYS smiles at me (he is always in full Okinawan clothing and the standard white towel on head). I passed him today, but since i haven't ever said anything aside from "Ohayoo Gozaimas" (good morning) I thought maybe a photo of him might come off strange.

I also was unable to capture all of the other people I passed along the way. People are friendly, and you find yourself nodding a small bow and saying good morning just about to everyone (It is funny to bow while running and even more entertaining to watch someone do it while biking). It seems to be recieved well by all, but the older people really respond nicely with smiles and bows. How could you have a bad day after that?

So, why did I blog about this you ask? To make you realize that when you come to visit there is loveliness right outside your doorway.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Are you sure you didn't blog this just to make me jealous of all the clean?!? And friendly people you can smile at? What's that?

Kelly said...

Yes, clean fresh air. What... you don't get that in Cairo? Although do remember, I mentioned the dog poo smell that occurs occasionally...

Sara said...

You don't really want to get into a contest of Things You Smell While Out Walking, do you? ;)

M Burns said...

What a fantastic post! It ALMOST makes me want to take up running so I can run with you when we visit! Thank you so much for taking the time to take/download the pictures and to give such descriptions. I promise you that I am not the only one lapping it up.

I miss you!

Mary

Ruth said...

So, here's my question... do I have to run the path or can I just walk when I visit? I am so surprised to see Alessandra in a stroller. It seems too passive for "fa fa" the fearless.

Kelly said...

Ruth and Mary - you can walk too! I am happy to walk - anytime! :)

funny you mention the stroller Ruth. She was opposed to stroller travel in Oregon, but since we got here, she really likes it again. I think she likes the jogger best (it must be the shocks) and that when she is in it we usually go pretty fast... (at least for her...)