CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 19, 2010

5th Kyu Green Belt

Okinawa has been a continuous journey of sites, sounds and feasts. One of the greatest joys of our life here on island include our time at The Nix Dojo (Ryukoku Seidokan Karate). Both Olivia and I have invested a lot of time in learning this beautiful martial art from some amazing Sensei's.

This month we were able to participate in another testing session. We both tested for the second stripe on our Green Belts. The Green Belt level is more intermediate than our first belt, the kata's are difficult and the expectations are higher. In my opinion the class has become more fun - because there is so much more to participate in and it all starts to make sense instead of being an overwhelming amount of information.

First up: Kelly. For the second time since we have been here, Brad got to come and check out our skills. We were happy that he was there to watch AND I didn't have to beg someone to take our photos!


Here I am stretching. I was SO nervous this time around!

The kata we performed this time is called Passai. In Sensei's opinion, it is difficult. I couldn't agree more! It was a challenging kata (to say the least) and for the first time I felt very nervous going on stage to perform it. It is a fine balance of strength, power and grace. Not sure I have mastered it yet, but here it is:



After the testing (there were a LOT of adults who tested this time, 5 Black Belts and 2 second degree black belts, always an honor to see that). We await the "certificate"


Bowing to the Sensei's

Happy to say it was a relief to have it over and looking foward to the next step! (With this next level we get to use the bo - a large wood stick in our kata - watch out!)

After a change of clothes, I turn into "Karate Mom" (a quote from my friend Kristal - "Karate moms - sort of like soccer moms, but not")

A fine group of ladies I would say! Kelly, Alyssa, Virna, Kristal and Aviva)
Next up: Olivia Marie!

Here she is performing Passai-kata. She makes a small mistake in the beginning, but recovers quickly!




Standing on stage for the Self-Defense part of the test


Over there on the right...


Standing next to her buddy Emily awaiting certificate. They have both grown SO much!


Getting her certificate from Sensei! SO HAPPY!


Please put that extra stripe on my belt! 2 STRIPES!!


Daddy with his tough girl.


Olivia with Sensei's Akemi and Ron Nix. Love these people!

2 comments:

Carrie Stuart said...

Wow, you guys looked great! Thanks for sharing this with us. Great to see you again tonight! =^)

M Burns said...

Holy cow, you guys are awesome. I'm hiring you as body guards if I ever need them.