Today was one of the best days yet. First off a big thanks goes to our new friends Juan and Angela and their kiddos Sage and Sophia. We met these nice people here at the Westpac within the last week or so and were excited to get to know them a little bit. They asked if we wanted to join them this weekend on a trip to Naha and the 10000 Dancers festival and we readily accepted the invitation. In the end, the trip to Naha got cancelled (due to rumors that we needed tickets to get onto the street where the parade was) and we decided to go in the other direction (north) and check out the Butterfly Garden.
Juan started out the drive with their new fancy van. We saddled inside with our 2 kids and the 2 adults and we were ready to party. We took the road north and just enjoyed the amazing sites that this island has to offer. It is truly one of the most beautiful places we have ever been.
The next stop - Pizza in the Sky. Or Pizza Kajinho.
We left from the Butterfly Garden (and thankfully I had directions - or is it?). We get down the road a little bit and turn off (where the directions said to) and then start up this windey, narrow road. I have no idea which places were the forks, which were the T's and if we make any correct turns at all, but somehow we got high up onto this mountian/hill, found 2 nice Japanese ladies in a car that pointed us in the right direction and then we made it.
We had to wait a little while to get a table that would seat us all, but finally one came available and we sat down, ordered 2 medium pizzas (they only had small and medium), a variety of drinks (juices - guava, mango, orange, mulberry), orion (beer), tea and water (our table looked thirsty). We had salad (incredible yumminess with some sort of soy sauce, rice vinager dressing that made me so happy) and pizza. I didn't think it was possible, but we ate every, single bite.
(The following are really attractive photos of us eating. Nice huh?)
While we were there, little Sage was a movie star. His blond hair caused quite a bit of attention and people were taking photos with him. We had heard this happens in mainland Japan and also China, but hadn't heard of it much here. After awhile, one group of ladies talked to us and we found out they were from Osaka (mainland Japan), so it made more sense. It was pretty funny.
Oh yes, and also - I almost forgot. It rained too - a quick downpour - very monsoon season-ish and very islandy.
On the way back the kid's all fell asleep and we enjoyed the ride back and Angela's first time at the wheel (I have to say, she was braver than I was on the tight roads coming down from that place!) And one memorable thing was that there are these ice cream carts on the side of the road and she stops to get one, and here she is, new driver, with ice cream cone in hand, getting on the highway. :) Oh yes, and here is the ice cream cart sales girl from out the window.

Off for more adventures!
(this is a great family photo - don't you think?)
6 comments:
Hey Kelly! Thanks for sharing the pictures and adventures you are having--Okinawa looks amazingly beautiful! Give me a holler on Skype anytime!
Kelly~ These pictures look like they are from a postcard or something. It looks absolutely georgous there. I'm ready to come visit ;)
Your pictures are fantastic, Kel, but I have to say that I laughed out loud at that last family picture. It looks like it sums it about up.
So excited to try the food!
You are the best at looking on the bright side, which must be difficult many days. Hang in there, sister! I love you and your adorable family!
Oh, and I will write more soon. And I am getting Skype!
I can't decide which looks better--the pizza or the view. Probably the view. But only just.
And looove the family photo. The girls' expressions are almost Christmas-card worthy ;)
We can't wait to visit.
It looks like paradise. However, Joe has reread "Goodbye, Darkness"( William Manchester) and he has reminded me about monsoon season- 16 inches of rain in a few hours. There is always a skeptic in the crowd. We are happy that you All look so happy ?!Yes, I laughed out loud , what a classic family photo.
Post a Comment