Alas, we come to another blog entry that will tantalize your brains with more Okinawan culture and make you wish you were here to experience it for yourself!
(And before I go on, A Happy Birthday Wish to my sister Kimm!! Happy 40th big sis! - love you!)
This past Sunday the girls and I headed out with our friend Nicole and her 2 boys to The Nakamura House and The Nakagusuku Castle Ruins.
First Stop: The Nakamura House
The Nakamura House is a typical style of a rich farmer's residence of the time. The foundations of this house were set around the year 1720. The house was originally thatched roof and was re-roofed in the 7th Generation of the home in the Okinawan traditional red tiles.The house has 8 rooms inside and was really interesting to look around.
Here is Cooper in the kitchen. He is standing next to some upright stones (I think they are actually behind him) that are on the hearth that have religious significance. This is where prayers to the fire god are said.
Alessandra climbing on some of the large stone steps.
A shot of the roof line, I loved all of the angles.
Another roof shot. In the forefront of the photo are the "Huru" or pigpens. Hogs were a very important part of the livelihood of farmers and Pork consumption on Okinawa is higher than other Japanese prefectures.
Outside the main entrance.
Next stop: The Nakagusuku Castle
After walking up the hill to the beginning of the Castle, this is the 3rd Citadel (behind Caden and Olivia)
Walking toward the 2nd Citadel
The boys and Olivia (and Nicole) went down a long stairwell to where one of the wells for the castle was. The availability of water within the castle walls added prestige to the reputation of the castle.
From this site you can also see what the locals call "The Haunted Hotel" A hotel that began building, but was never completed.
The East China Sea View
More Haunted Hotel
This was (I think ) a shrine or temple (someone correct me if I am wrong!) There was chanting going on while we were up on the hill. Crazy Okinawa skies. The weather has been strange, chilly and lots of clouds and wind the past 2 weeks.
So, I hope you have a little history on your brain. This culture is rich in it's background and it is wonderful that not everything was damaged during WW2. I am thankful we have the opportunity to see it. (you can to, if you want to visit!)
1 comments:
i love the family pic that pops up right away. It's the best.
Post a Comment