CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 19, 2009

To the place with the BIG fish.. oh yeah, and that cool play area.

Yes, I know what you are thinking... "WOW, LOOK - another post by Kelly, this girl is on a roll!!"

Today we decided to celebrate Dr. King, we would take a trip north on the island to the Churaumi Aquarium. (really I decided and the kids thought it would be fun too). We headed up north and ALMOST didn't make it.

To get to the aquarium, the quickest route is to take the Toll Road. So, here we are crusing along (at a speedy 80 km/hr) and just enjoying the sites, the girls are snacking in the back and plaing with their Leapster... Out of the entry ramp comes this black car "flying" and then cruising right across the road in front of us and spins twice and runs into the guard rail. NOW, thankfully, we were driving on Okinawa (so not driving fast) and I saw the guy moving a little quick and slowed down before we got too close. I stopped the car in front of him and got out to make sure he was okay - he was very shaken up, but okay (thankfully). I got out my trusty Driver's License (complete with base phone numbers) and called the MP's - at the same time a Japanese driver stopped and pulled out a flare to direct traffic. I pulled the car around to the back of the accident guy (who ended up being a Marine Corps Corporal...) and waited until some other people could stay with him (since I did have the kids in the car...). It was enough to keep my shaking... and THEN as I was getting ready to pull out, a guy says to me that my left tire looks low... SO, here I am shaking anyway and now I am nervous that my tire is going to blow... (mind you, I am now in Brad's Nissan Cube and not in our big van). SO, I pull off at the next gas station/rest station and the nice man at the gas station checked all of my tires and filled them. Yes, Breathe in... breathe out.

At this point we were over 1/2 way to the Aquarium AND because I had remained totally stealthy and calm under pressure (like to the point that Olivia was still playing her leapster), I decided to keep on keeping on.

We made it safely and without further incident. Enjoyed the aquarium, eating lunch by the big tank and then went to the play area outside (which really was the think the kids like the most...)

Alessandra thinks the touch pool is so much fun... I couldn't get a photo of her with the starfish (I had to help her hold it) but imagine that it looked like she was going to pull 2 of it's legs off... I had to keep explaining that she had to put her hand under him... she didn't quite want to.


Posted by PicasaThe BIG tank. The largest panel of glass in the world (I think). There are 3 Whale Sharks in here (you can see the bottom of one at the top of the photo), they were way up in the tank today, so no good shots...

This came out a little blurry... in the Shark room. Olivia would go NO WHERE NEAR these jaws.. but guess who had no issue whatsoever...

(oh yes, and she had her photo taken by about 15 Japanese people too.. they thought it was SO funny)

At the play area outside... this is the girls climbing like crazy
Our friend Angela (and Sage and Sophia) joined us at the park. Here is Alessandra with Sophia
Posted by PicasaHere is a shot of Sage and Sophia. No big smiles, but cute as buttons anyway!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Kelly, Another adventure in paradise !
I love the fact that Olivia was unfazed yet, would not go near the the BIG fish teeth. And who is standing in the jaw? Small and mighty...

TSHAA said...

You go mama! I think I would have been a nervous wreck! Looks like a good time was had by all at the aquarium. So many fun things to do on your island...maybe some day...