CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Kindergarten is Kool

(the above isn'tvery flattering for either girl, but I had to share it, Alessandra was bound and determined to go to school too, so here she is, with a lunchbox ready to go (and she carried it with us ALL day today).

The day is upon us. Our eldest has entered the realm of elementary school and now there is no turning back. (for her, or for us!)
Anxiety seems to be one of Olivia's traits that was slow to arrive in her world. Knowing that for Sundborn she cried every day for two weeks (when I picked her up), I was sure that Kindergarten would be a breeze...

She was anxious. She was nervous. I am sure it had to do with a lot of things, but mostly because it was new and she didn't know anyone in her class. The school is big and for the first time (a couple of days ago) she realized that there were going to be "big kids" there. We had met her teacher, the teacher's aid and had been to the school and in the classroom twice, but it was still all SO new.

Before we left the house this morning, her new dress (bought at her request from a Japanese store - "because Mom, it is fun to shop in Japan", lunchbox (there is a gecko on the other side) and wearing her Keen's ("because mom, my Keen's are the best thing for the playground" - I love a girl with priorities).

In the front doorway of the school - this is where she wanted to get her first day of school shot, so that we made sure the gecko was in it.

And here is our big girl sucking back the big elephant tears she had rolling down her cheeks. She held it together, teared a bit more while hugging Alessandra goodbye (and mommy too) and headed off with her class.

Quite flattering self-portrait of mommy, who yes, also cried. I couldn't help it. Seeing her so worried just killed me! (thank heavens for Alessandra who kept yelling "donut, donut, go, go" at me - they had a coffee for the new Kindergarten moms and dads and I had promised her a donut - it helped me chuckle.


After school at the pick up area - that is her teacher Mrs. Byrom right behind her.

Now, that is the smile I had been waiting for all day!

8 comments:

M Burns said...

Congratulations, Olivia! You looked fantastic for your first day of school. And I love your lunch box.

M Burns said...

Oh, and congratulations, Kel! :) Even trying not to cry, you look beautiful and it is so hard not to laugh at Alessandra demanding donuts, go go go! Sounds like she's learning to use her words!

Ruth said...

I have tears rolling down my cheeks-thanks for letting us share Olivia's big day. Even though we are seperated by thousands of miles, I still feel that I got to witness some of the moment...

Ruth said...

Kelly, Joe thanks you for sharing the big day with us. (Joe had a few tears, too.)he said a little nervousness is good-it's "new situation anxiety syndrome." But we have confidence in Olivia,you and Brad-you all are capable and accomplished. And Alessandra has the right attitude-"donuts, Mom!"

TSHAA said...

Aw, I remember the first day of Kindergarten with Madi. 3 days after having Lincon I KNEW I would cry too. I got teared up yesterday taking Madi to second grade. They are growing so fast! Before we know it we'll be taking Lincon and Alessandra doing the same thing. Glad she was smiling at the end of the day!

Sara said...

Congrats to both of you! You both did a great job!

And clearly Alessandra shares my motto: Donuts fix all problems.

Love you all!

meredith said...

What are the chances you're interested in having your groovy blog listed in the LOCAL BLOGS sections on www.okinawahai.com? If you are, you have 12-ish hours to enter our contest which could win you some lovely hai gear. Either way, we'd link to you if you'd let us peek into your life!

Follow this long link to join the fun: http://okinawahai.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=2057706%3ATopic%3A19029&page=1&commentId=2057706%3AComment%3A19269&x=1#2057706Comment19269

meredith said...

What are the chances you're interested in having your groovy blog listed in the LOCAL BLOGS sections on www.okinawahai.com? If you are, you have 12-ish hours to enter our contest which could win you some lovely hai gear. Either way, we'd link to you if you'd let us peek into your life!

Follow this long link to join the fun: http://okinawahai.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=2057706%3ATopic%3A19029&page=1&commentId=2057706%3AComment%3A19269&x=1#2057706Comment19269